Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:02:42 +0300
From:      "Andrey Simonenko" <simon@comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua>
To:        <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to store process state and then restore process

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernd Walter" <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
Newsgroups: lucky.freebsd.hackers
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 5:16 PM

> Some programms dump theirself into an obj file after initialization.
> If you hold global resources such as filehandles, shared memory you
> should know how they are used to make restoring them easier.

I meaned _potential_ ability of FreeBSD kernel to dump a process
state (image) and when it is needed to restore process image back to
the system and restored process should continue its executing.
I didn't mean that application's object files should be relinked
with some special library for checkpointing and restoring or
an application should be designed for this (any modifications to
existing application code).

Of course it is clear for me that parent/childs relations can't
be restored, as well as TCP connections, shared file descriptors, etc.