Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 07:58:12 -0800
From:      dan@wolf.com
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, Namodn ROOT <root@namodn.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: off-site secondary DNS

While my knowledge of the specifics is a bit rusty, I
seem to recall that that is precisely the reason for
remembering to implement your serial number each time
you change zone records on the primary machine.  THe
secondary will poll the primary at predetermined intervals
(I don't remember *where* it's determined - that's where
the rust sets in) and determine the current serial
number.  If he (the secondary) doesn't have the current
version of the data he'll automatically initiate a
named-xfer to get the current records.

Of course, this assumes that you can afford to wait
for the secondary to get around to checking currency
of his data...

Dan Mahoney
dan@wolf.com