Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:33:41 -0400
From:      Nathan Mace <mace_nathan@uchaswv.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   in need of a little advice

next semester will be my last semester of college, i'm graduating with a
4-year degree in Computer Information Systems.  my major isn't all that
focused on technical stuff, more of a mixture with lots of business, a
little programming and a little networking.  i've taught myself how to
use freebsd/linux over the past 3 years.  when i get out of college i
would like to get a job as a junior level unix admin.

and please don't tell me that i should have been a CS major.  by the
time i figured out what my major was like, i had already fell in love
with the campus in everyway except the bussiness classes they made me
take ;)  so thats why i didn't transfer to a school that offered CS

i have O'reilly books on both samba and apache, and yes i have actually
read them.  i use samba every day on my computer, and although apache
doesn't really do anything on my machine i have fun hacking at it and
just seeing what all it can do.

seeing as how it looks like i'll have some free time next semester i
thought i'd get into some heavy duty scripting/programming.  i've had
programming classes(c++, and unfortunalty java) but nothing really
'*unix-like' i was thinking of either perl learning another OS.

what i want to know is...which would do me more good in the job market &
the 'real' world.  learning another OS, i was thinking openbsd...or
getting into perl?  or would my time be better spent on something else?
i know that the majority of unix admins know either perl or shell
scripting, usually both...but what would do me the most good in the
sense of getting a job? perl? openbsd?  learn more about apache & samba?
 or learn more about freebsd, which is great and the only bsd i have
used to date. or something else entirely?

sorry if this is the wrong list, but i didn't think it belonged in the
jobs list as i'm not actually looking for a job(yet).  if it is the
wrong list someone please foward it to the correct one.

also, please cc the replies to my email address.  thanks for your time

nathan