Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:23:57 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        alane@geeksrus.net (Alan Eldridge)
Cc:        kstailey@surfbest.net, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ade@FreeBSD.org: suggests installing in a USER's HOME dir]

Alan Eldridge writes:
> ----- Forwarded message from Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org> -----
> On 02/15/02 21:21, "Alan Eldridge" <alane@geeksrus.net> wrote:
> > But nobody ever did chime in with an idea of where the best place to put
> > a 200-400MB *writable* file, installed by a port, is. And that, of course,
> > was the whole point in cc'ing portmgr. So, any thoughts on that?
>
> There is no precedent for this.  The closest port (and its aways away by a
> long shot) is vmware, when it creates its disk images, usually within the
> users home directory.
>
> Hmm.  Perhaps instead of using a hardcoded location, you fix0r the code to
> dig up the users home directory getpwuid(geteuid()), and use/create a klh
> (or even .klh) subdirectory for the writable stuff?   Store a gzipped copy
> somewhere in ${PREFIX}, and provide an "initialize" script to do the
> necessary magic.
>
> -aDe
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> So, to follow onto this, here's a suggestion:
>
> 1. Store the compressed PI disk image in /usr/local/share/whatever.
>
> 2. Create an "install as user" script. This creates a custom set of .ini
> files and copies them, along with an uncompressed disk image, to a directory
> that a user specifies.
>
> IOW, basically what he said, and which was also one of my earlier suggestions.
>
> Bottom line is, there's just no reliable way to pick a place that will fit
> the requirements of (1) unique to local machine (2) big enough (3) writable.
I think use of environment variable is good enough.
${EMULATOR_SPACE} for example (directory for all emulator's disk images)
administrator can set it in login.conf for everybody
or for some classes of users, user can set EMULATOR_SPACE for
himself, and no user install if script does not detect
this variable.

About precedents. May be it is first big disk image in ports,
but there is a lot of disk images for different
PDP-11 OSes and some of it can be ports.
This is reason for some common way.

@BABOLO      http://links.ru/