Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 07:15:38 -0400
From:      "Donald R. Tyson" <tyson@alumni.stanford.org>
To:        glen@dfsi.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another newbies list Inquiry

Glen --

CDs are clearly the fastest and most convenient way to install
FreeBSD and, if you buy the complete set, you get Greg Lehey's
book as well.  If you need to re-install,
the CDs are right there and work
just as quickly the second or third or fourth time around.

That said, I'm going to put in a good word for getting it by FTP,
always assuming you aren't charged by the minute for your phone
connection. Someone else already correctly pointed out that you
only need to get the two boot floppy images and make the
floppies;  the installation utility takes care of getting the
files you need.

The advantage of FTP, or at least of getting the ports collection
by FTP, is that you get an up-to-the-minute collection ports
collection as part of the install.  With the CDs, you get the
collection as it was when the CDs were created.  Perhaps the best
mix is to get the CDs (use the Cheapbytes edition if cost is a
factor, although you don't get the Lehey book), but install the
ports collection by FTP.

Finally, FTP lets you try (if you've got the time and the
inclination), all of the available releases:  2.2.8, 3.2 and 3.3
without buying CDs for each one.  Just get the floppies, follow
the installation utility's instructions for setting up your ppp
connection, and let go to bed and let it run.

Good luck,
Don Tyson