Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 01:31:41 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   gated broken, needs recompilation

Garrett Wollman writes:
 > <<On Thu, 22 Aug 1996 00:39:51 +0300 (EET DST), Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi> said:
 >
 > > gated seem have broken sometime in August, it fails to get any info on
 > > devices from the kernel, and thus either crashes on failed assertion or is
 > > unable to determine router id.
 >
 > > This can be worked around by recompiling, but no more single binary for all
 > > routers, if this was intentional change.  Any ideas what was the change ?
 >
 > The size and arrangement of some of the fields in `struct ifnet' was
 > moved around to make a better management interface possible.  That's
 > the price you pay for running -current.

Not just moved around, it seems that kernel broke badly.  With recompiled
everything, the machine still deadlocks as soon as it receives routers
through OSPF.  Interesting is that the old kernel also deadlocks if used
with new binaries and gated, so this probably woke up something nasty in
kernel.  If there is no gated, the machine seems to stay alive in normal
FreeBSD fashion (uptime in days is inverse of average load).

This did not break not just gated, but ifconfig and friends also need to be
in pair with the kernel.

There really should be portable interfaces for things like these, procfs or
some form of sysctl ?

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-0-43542270 fax -4555276 home -8031121