Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:09:49 -0700
From:      Tabor Kelly <pdxmax@dsl-only.net>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        fbsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re[2]: Separate firewall or not?

There are ways to restrict the compiler. But I am not sure there are
any useful ways to restrict it. You could give it its own user group,
and restrict its privileges, but then it wouldn't be very useful. If
you are going to do that you may as well take it off. If you never
change the system, it won't be a problem.

As for DNS, I would not run it on the firewall.

As for shell accounts. You don't really want to stop shell accounts.
Here is how I have my firewall set up. I have 2 accounts that can
access the shell. One is root, which can only access it locally (it
can not be accessed over a network).

The other we will call Fred for this demonstration. Fred is a member
of the group wheel. This means that Fred can become root. This is very
useful if I need to change something remotely.

If you wanted to you could have no user accounts at all, I guess. But
this would mean that you could never log-in remotely. In which case you
may as well take sshd off as well.

All disclaimers apply.

-Tabor