Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:08:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        Julian <julian@ivision.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network File System

> There are, that I know of, no (free) decent Network Filesystems for Unix
> that work as a Unix filesystem.  NFS looks like a Unix filesystem,
> but has problems too innumerable to mention.

Coda is a developing project...it's still very buggy (and very alpha) but
it could be worth a look.  I know that I will be pounding on it a little
bit in the future.  I don't know much about NFS, but Coda is sure to be
(at this point) far worse than any other file system.  But...like I
said...it's a very complex system that they are STILL developing.

> SMB is (despite the microsoft connections) is a reasonable network

The only real m$ connection to SMB that I can make is that of a POOR
implementation of it.  "Windows networking" has come to mean SMB on
netbeui...EEK!  REAL SMB networking (IMVHO) is on ROUTED TCPIP ala Samba.

> As an aside/addendum, does anyone know of a decent network filesystem
> that FreeBSD can support?  This would be helpful specifically to

I don't know about "decent" yet, but I know that Coda has a really big
"COOL!" factor to it, and if you can afford the servers, mirroring the fs
is supposed to be a snap.  Not really a recommendation, but definitely a
"you should give it a look".