Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:02:44 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd try + update:  whats wrong with this sylog.conf?

Mike Grommet wrote:

> I did recently install tcp_wrappers, but I've tried this with both the
> pre-tcp_wrapper inetd.conf file
> and the current one, and still did the same thing.

	I'm not sure why tcp wrappers is relevant... does it say it logs on
authpriv?

> I've been trying to modify my syslog.conf to give more
> organized logging abilities...  Everything seems to work ok except for the
> /var/log/secure...
>
> heres the conf file.  Despite my cut and paste here, there really are tabs
> between the lhs and the rhs...
> Heck I even copied this off of a working bsdi 3.1 machine that works fine...

	Doesn't mean it will work on FreeBSD, although BSDi is a close
relative.

> still didnt work for me.
> the /var/log/secure file has been created and has permissions
> ->rw-------  1 root  bin        0 Sep 17 11:01 secure
>
> And of course, I have restarted syslogd... boy that would have been a silly
> mistake eh?
>
> Also, when I put my syslogd into debug mode, it never says anything about
> logging into /var/log/secure...
> so what have I missed here?

	First question, what is it that you think should be logged to authpriv?
According to the sources for -Stable, the only thing logged there is
some stuff for uucpd and failed attempts from /usr/bin/login. However,
in my brief testing a deliberately failed login wasn't recorded when I
tried a configuration similar to yours, so I'd say this is probably a
bug. You might want to submit a PR on it.

> ----- START OF CONF ----- This is a simple conf file, but doesnt work....
>
> *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit        /dev/console
> kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit        /dev/console
> *.notice;authpriv,ftp,uucp,cron,news.none;kern.debug;mail.crit
> /var/log/messages
> authpriv.*            /var/log/secure
> lpr.info                /var/log/lpd-errs
> mail.*                  /var/log/maillog
> uucp.*                 /var/spool/uucp/errors
> cron.*                  /var/log/cron
> ftp.*                   /var/log/ftp.log
> daemon.*                /var/log/daemon.log
> *.emerg                 *
> *.notice;auth.debug;authpriv.none       root
>
> --- END OF CONF -----

	It's unusual that the /var/log/secure file isn't mentioned here....
mine is mentioned.