Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:23:46 -0800
From:      Hal Weaver <hweaver@pinetel.com>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow, noisey hard drive activity

Matthew Emmerton wrote:

> > > I've installed the following FreeBSD release on two different removable
> > > hard drives used in the same laptop (IBM Thinkpad 760 ED):
> > >
> > > Builds, boots, and other intense hard drive activity takes about twice
> > > as long on the larger hard drive (5G) than it does on the smaller
> > > (1.2G).  There is also a ticking noise accompanying the hard drive
> > > activity on the slower drive.
>
> I have a multitude of small IBM drives (120MB up to 1.2GB) and they all
> exhibit the ticking noise that you mention.  This is nothing to worry about,
> as it's just the sound produced by the motor that moves the heads.  I don't
> exactly know why these drives make such an audible noise when doing this,
> but it's just the way it's always been for these drives.

Matt, I don't get the ticking or the sluggish access with FreeBSD on the
1.2G hard drive where FreeBSD uses the whole drive.  Nor do these
symptoms occur on the 5G hard drive when I use the Win98 or the Native
Oberon operating systems, or when I had Slackware 7.1 or SuSE 6.3
installed on the *nix partition.  The problem seems unique to the
FreeBSD installation on the *nix partition.

Hal