Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 11:35:22 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrades [each time more trouble]

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:40:35 +0200
> From: Steffen Hein <s.hein@spinner.de>
> Subject: Re: upgrades [each time more trouble]
>
> This opinion plainly ignores that the port collection is sold along with
> the [basic system] FreeBSD CD distribution and that a minimum of working
> printer software is, in fact, essential - for any OS to be serviceable.
> - - This to such a degree that the distributor of an OS cannot simply
> refer to 'third party applications', here.
>
> Everybody buying a car would look quite stange, if the vendor referred
> to the tires, for instance, as a 'third party product', for which he
> rejects all responsibility.

Please tell that to Ford Motor Co.  :-)

Personally while I agree to a point, I don't hold the ports
collection up to the same standards as the core OS.

Perhaps what the original poster really is saying, in effect, is that
he wishes the printing capability he needs was part of the core OS,
since he considers it a basic function. (Which to me is a more
reasonable suggestion than hoping for the FreeBSD team to micromanage
various idiosyncracies of the thousands of ports designed to work
with the OS.)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium