Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2017 07:16:25 -0500
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
To:        bsd-lists@BSDforge.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

On 11/22/2017 21:53, Chris H wrote:
> If this is about removing things from FreeBSD that don't offer/provide
> "utility".
> Than you *should* have removed /usr/games entirely. Let's *actually* be
> "completely honest" about all this.
>
> I think I'm done here. Sorry. :(
Having used, hosted, patched FreeBSD for ~25 years, I personally like
'fortune', or something alike with 'hits' about the system, shell,
etc... However, I doubt there is a 'system requirement' to have it as
part of base.
I have *never* used 'games', ever that I recall... :-)

I am personally less (really not) concerned about 'offensive' entries.
People throughout history have said and written things that will offend
someone somewhere. In the USA I would think this effectively falls under
the First Amendment. We can say what we want, when we want, as long as
we understand that we are (still!) *responsible* for what we say. As
long as such potential entries are properly accredited to the origin,
even if the entry is potentially offensive we could learn something from
it. (IMHO it is not wrong or bad to be reminded of evil done in history).

Just my 2 cents. Not an invite to discussion...

Jan