Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:57:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        s334761@student.uq.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shell. URGENT URGENT URGENT

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Allright boys and girls, here's a doozy:

>I was logged in as root, and was playing around (using chpass) with
>what shell I was using.  I accidentally typed in the wrong path to a
>shell and now I can't login as root any more (it says that it can't
>find the shell, and returns to the login prompt).

>I've only created one other user since installing BSD, and it doesn't
>have any privelages to speak of.

>How the hell can I get to log in as root again?  If I could only get
>to the /etc/passwd file!

at the boot prompt, use the -s option to boot single user.  This will
give you a prompt which should ask you for which shell to use.

After this, do a mount -a to mount your drives, then you should be
able to use chpass to recover.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/