Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:01:58 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Vincent Deffontaines <vincent.deffontaines@easynet.fr>
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: question about FreeBSD Port: ntp-4.0.99k

Hi, and congratulations for not abandoning FreeBSD at the first problem :)

No, seriously - you are not making a mistake at all.  This is the case
with several programs which are included in the base system, yet are
being actively developed, and have newer versions also included as ports.
Other such examples are Perl, GCC and (for old FreeBSD systems) SSH.

One of the basic premises of the FreeBSD ports system is that it installs
everything under a common 'prefix' - /usr/local by default - so that it
is easy to distinguish between base system software - everything outside
/usr/local - and software packages installed later.  This also helps
when you have to scratch a system clean to isolate some fault - it is
a nice idea to start off with cleaning or completely removing /usr/local,
with the complete assurance that you shall be left with a perfectly
working FreeBSD system.

The best solution in your case would be to tell the system startup
scripts to use your newly-installed version of ntpd, and not the old
one; to do this, edit your /etc/rc.conf file, and add the following
line to the end (or change it if it occurs earlier):

  xntpd_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpd"

..then either restart your system (not really needed, but the best
way to provide a clean startup), or just do:

  killall ntpd
  /usr/local/bin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

..and you should be all set :)
Of course, if you've changed xntpd_flags in /etc/rc.conf, use your
new flags instead of '-p /var/run/ntpd.pid' :)

If you are interested in other things you can change in your /etc/rc.conf
script, take a loot (but DO NOT MODIFY) /etc/defaults/rc.conf - it lists
some variables, their default values, and some comments for each.

Hope that helps! :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.