Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:43:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Lague <lague@hargray.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation With Drive Overlay

On Sun, 11 Feb 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Your caution is well-placed.  FreeBSD is almost certainly not compatible
> with this "Drive Overlay" product.

    I can say for certain that FreeBSD will not work with this setup,
after spending an hour on a friend's machine last night installing
FreeBSD, and five hours fixing it back up.  :(

> Installing FreeBSD will most likely result in an unbootable BSD
> partition (best case) or totally destroy your DOS partition(s) (worst
> case).

    This machine had an 850MB and 340MB IDE drives with the DDO drive
manager.  Figuring it was simply another boot manager, I went ahead
and installed 2.1.0-R on the 340MB drive (second drive).  Windows '95
was already on the 850.  fdisk shows a small 128-sector partition on
the 850MB drive.  Curiously, it claimed that it started at sector -64
(yes, a negative number) and ended at sector +63.  ;-) I should have
stopped there, but my friend said he could always re-install Win95 if
anything broke, so we pressed on.  The installation itself went
without a hitch.

    When the machine rebooted and ran DDO, all it could say was "Press
spacebar to boot drive A:" and refused to recognize a bootable OS on
the IDE drives.  I stuck in the FreeBSD install floppy and was able to
manually boot off wd(1,a}/kernel.  Everything came up fine, including
X, so I turned my attention to other work.

    In the meantime, my friend tried to re-install DDO on the first
drive.  I don't know the sequence of events over the next few hours,
but he ended up with no Win95 partition and a "can't mount root" panic
with FreeBSD.  Someone else is working on the machine now, and I
believe the latest effort has produced a working DDO manager running
the OS/2 Warp boot manager, with only Win95 installed so far.

    To sum up:  Just spend some extra money and get SCSI.  ;-)
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.