Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2019 16:51:46 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   EC2 ARM64 "bare metal" instances

Hi ARM experts,

FreeBSD does not currently boot on Amazon's recently released "bare metal"
ARM64 instances.  It might be useful to get these working, since they're
reasonably powered hardware (16 cores, 32 GB RAM) and should be able to run
bhyve (that's the "bare metal" part).

Right now the boot is failing because FreeBSD is not finding the disk (or
the network adapter, for that matter):

http://www.daemonology.net/tmp/a1.metal.boot_verbose

Ed suggested that I get a listing of PCI devices from Linux (which does boot
on these systems), and it looks like the missing devices are attached to PCI
domains 2 and 3 (aka pci0 and pci1):

http://www.daemonology.net/tmp/a1.metal.lspci-v

I'm aware of a few patches these systems needed in order to work on Linux:

1. Respecting ACPI _DSM "PCI Boot Configuration":
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/a78cf9657ba5426f54aa93a067c10d097944c082

2. Adding the Annapurna Labs PCIe controller driver:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/4166bfe53093b687a0b1b22e5d943e143b8089b2
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/a8daea94754989f6c48dafda840482cbc9f882f9

3. Something I don't understand at all about MSI:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/90b4c55586155cf13bbafbd4e55327f89681859d

Can someone who knows more me about ARM64 / ACPI / PCIe / MSI take a look
at these and figure out how to get this working in FreeBSD?

I'll be happy to test patches or to walk someone through the process of
using EC2 so you can hack on this directly.

--
Colin Percival