Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:06:24 -0400
From:      "Ryan Masse" <mail@max-info.net>
To:        "John Jennings" <my_pinup_girl@www.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: terminal emulation

Instead of using Hardware for Flow Control try Xon-Xoff.

This is done from memory so it may or may not work. I remember once having
to use those settings via a null modem cable to a cisco switch. If you get
it going let me know.

Ryan

> greetings from shreveport, louisiana!
>
> I am running FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE on an i586 (Pentium) that has two DB9
serial interfaces.  I am using /dev/cuaa1 for vt100 terminal emulation.  I
purchased a f/f DB9 null modem cable and connected one end to /dev/cuaa1 on
my freebsd box and the other end to "COM1" on a Windows 98 box.  I ran
Hyperterminal on the Windows 98 box with the following settings:

> Speed:   9600
> Parity:   None
> Data bits:  8
> Flow control:  Hardware
>
> The freebsd box has an entry in /dev/ttys:
>
> cuaa1   /path/to/getty std.9600  vt100 on secure
>
> and I did not change gettytab
>
> I came up with no login prompt on the Windows 98 box.  I tested both
ports; they are operational.  The cable is operational.  Getty is running on
/dev/cuaa1.  I can talk to cuaa1 via ppp:

> $ ppp
> ppp> term
>
> that gave me no error signs on either side of the cable, yet no signs of
success either.  nothing appeared on either side!

> I also did the following:
>
> $ echo hello > /dev/cuaa1
>
> The echo was successful though it did not appear on the Windows 98 box in
the Hyperterminal program window.