Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 13:41:26 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rpc.lockd / nfs versions

On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 12:27:14PM +0100, jpmg@eng.cam.ac.uk wrote:
> On FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, rpc.lockd exists, has a man page that suggests it
> works, but has a dire warning in /etc/defaults/rc.conf that it doesn't.
>
> Never one to believe dire warnings, I've tried it.  It runs, appears to
> try to do things, but fails to work.  The test I've been using is the
> procmail file locking test suite, which makes some fairly sensible
> attempts to see if a particular locking strategy will work.

As I understand it it is only a dummy implementation at the moment.
So when a client asks for a lock rpc.lockd basically says "Sure, have a
lock." and gives a lock to the client without actually locking anything.
Therefore it is quite useless for tasks that actually require real locks.
What it is useful for is to get semi-broken PC-clients that insist on
getting a lock without actually needing it, to work.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson