Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:14:49 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BOF at BSDCon: FreeBSD Installer, Packages System

> My impression is that most of the "off-the-shelf" script languages
> (Python, Perl, Tcl, etc, etc) started off small but have since
> become quite bloated.  I just compiled a short C program (given below)

Some are more bloated than others (let's not even talk about PERL)
but we can still manage it.

> with an embedded Tcl interpreter and got a 530k stripped executable.
> Is that acceptable for sysinstall?

Well, the current one is 820K stripped (separate, not with all the
other crunched stuff) so I'd say just being able to separate large
chunks of its current functionality into separate-to-the-executable
scripts will win well beyond that, even starting at 530k and adding
back some of the media handling stuff necessary to go find an install
script and start it up.

> <ROFL> ... Apparently, another hard sell.  ;-)  I was thinking,
> of course, of the more modern structured BASIC implementations
> (Visual Basic is the best-known) which draw heavily on Pascal and C.
> (Perl is heavily influenced by structured Basic, for example.)

Be honest: Do you really want to have to write something like this as
a prerequisite to even starting the new installation program?  I think
we want to steal technology rather than implement it as much as
possible or we'll never get this item off our TODO lists. :)

- Jordan