Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:04:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wvhemel@vub.ac.be>
To:        Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [FBSD-Q] ipv6 route configuration

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Rogier Steehouder wrote:

> On Wednesday 29-08-29 22:22:22, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> > > As far as I can remember (it has been nearly a year) I used the same
> > > 'route' line, but using the internal nic instead of lo0.
> > >

> > That's what's been bugging me all along. Why lo0 and not ed1. Maybe it has
> > something to do with looping.
> >
> > > I set both sysctl variables to 1 and let both router and other PC's figure
> > > out their IPv6 addresses on their own. They will most certainly not be
> > > ...::1, ...::2, etc.
> > >
> > > You can also manually configure IPv6 addresses on all hosts.
> > >

> > And that would be with just 'ifconfig ed0 inet6 their_ip', right?
>
> I would add a prefixlen 64 to be sure.

Sure, just being brief for simplicity :)

> > > Make sure of your firewall (ip6fw) if you use it. Especially using
> > > autoconfiguration. An IPv6 fw needs much more thought than an IPv4 fw.
> > >

> > Sure, after I made it work. That won't be such a problem.
>
> At least check the default "deny all from any to any" isn't intercepting
> router advertisements and neighbor discovery, because that would hurt.

This isn't an issue when using static (manual) routes, is it?

> I blocked neighbor discovery at first. After installing the fw, after
> several seconds, connections would cease. Not recognising neighbors
> results in removal from the routing table -> no transfer of packets.
>
> Took my three days to find that because the connections fail after seconds,
> not immediately after setting the firewall.

Ah, that one's good to know. Making mental notes right now :)

> with kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

Regards,

.
. . . .  w o u t e r
.
o// O\ |             w o u t e r   v a n   h e m e l             | <\o/\
P  `|  |_  .  h t t p : / / w w w . i n s o m n i a . c x /  .  _|   O
.  l a   v i e   e n   m o u v e m e n t  |`\ >> \\ <<  . . . . . . . . .