Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:35:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Thomas Zenker <thz@Lennartz-electronic.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB ethernet problem

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Thomas Zenker wrote:

> to follow up myself :-(
>
> the situation changed, I have tried to install the new release now
> on the final embedded hardware. It is to mention, that this hardware
> is working with fbsd 4.3 from july without any problems in about
> 50 equipments. Upgrade from the previous fbsd 4.3 works flawlessly
> (4.3 kernel is running during this procedure), however after rebooting
> the 4.4 kernel, another upgrade run doesn't terminate:
>
> kue0: usb error on tx: TIMEOUT
> kue0: watchdog timeout
>
> The difference in the run of sysinstall and ttcp is the heavy disk
> activity with sysinstall.
>
> There was no significant change in the USB driver since 2001-07-17.
>
> Might there be a run condition, interrupt problem or priority problem
> with the ata driver, which become visible now on the slower machine?
>
> May be I have to go back to fbsd 4.3

Hmm.  I agree, it doesn't like like much of anything usb-related changed
between 4.3 and now.  If we examine the ata driver, one big thing changed
between 4.3 and 4.4:  Write caching was re-enabled.  This caused a big
change in disk throughput for some people, perhaps it's affecting you.
Try turning it off (see the ata manpage for details) and see if that
changes your results.

Also, is your USB adapter sharing interrupts with anything else?  Are
interrupts being allocated the same way on 4.3 and 4.4?

Mike "Silby" Silbersack