Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:32:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wahyu Hidayat <wahyuhid@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   running out of mbuf

Hello,

Firstly I am not a member of this mailling-list, so
please CC to me, or if this is not the right forum,
give me a direction where I  could post it.

I have a machine running squid cache-server and apache
to answer squidGuard redirectors. When running under
heavy load it complains about mbuf:

Sep  6 07:42:40 cache2 squid[5735]: aclMatchProxyAuth:
user 'imon' tries to use multple IP addresses!
Sep  6 07:43:22 cache2 squid[5735]:
aclDecodeProxyAuth: Disallowing empty passwo
rd,user is ''
Sep  6 07:43:26 cache2 last message repeated 2 times
Sep  6 07:43:50 cache2 /kernel: looutput: mbuf
allocation failed
Sep  6 07:44:43 cache2 squid[5735]:
aclDecodeProxyAuth: Unsupported proxy-auth sheme,
'owqeko=f|xjbd'

I thought I've configured my kernel with enough mbuf,
but even one-half have not used yet. My netstat -m:

22070/22544/81920 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        20490 mbufs allocated to data
        1580 mbufs allocated to packet headers
20462/20480/20480 mbuf clusters in use
(current/peak/max)
46596 Kbytes allocated to network (7% of mb_map in
use)
87932 requests for memory denied
274 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

This problem bothers me, as our http traffic comes
from this server, and I have to reconfigure squid
processes (the same as restarting I think) to free up
mbuf.

If you have any idea how to solve this please let me
know. Any help of reference would be greatly
appreciated.

Best regards.
-why-