Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:52:53 -0400
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        "Christian Groessler" <cpg@aladdin.de>, roberta@intrasoft.it
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network buffers problem

Hmm I was thinking a lack of settings on the driver end.  Like, the IRQ's
don't match up, or the IRQ does match up and the Port doesn't.  That can
cause some weird things to happen, especially with the EP (3Com 509
Compatible) driver..

I'm using EP0 and EP1 as two 3C509 16-bit NICs..  First thing I did was
disabled plug and play on both and set real variables.

Good way to find out if it's an IRQ or a PORT address issue is to try to
download a stream from a local machine.  Like do an FTP to a nearby Win95
machine or something.  If the speed is severely low (like 2-15K/s) I'd aim
for that instead.

At 10:59 AM 10/14/98 +0100, Christian Groessler wrote:

>Hello,
>are you using the ep driver?
>If yes, it seems to be a driver problem (see kern/7042).
>
>Change network card to a different type should "fix" it ...
>
>regards,
>chris
>

>On 10/14/98 9:31:47 AM Nicolis Roberta  wrote:
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have already asked this question and I got some answers but I haven't
>solved my problem.
>>I often  have the following  network problem on our FreeBSD
>>(Release 2.1.6): suddenly the network stop working and when I try to
>>ping another host on the local network, ping returns the following
>>message:
>>
>>No  buffers space available
>>
>>The freebsd machine is a Pentium with 64MB of physical memory.
>>I tried to solve the problem increasing the value of MAXUSERS in the
>>kernel configuration file. Now it is set to 128, but I still have the
>problem.
>>This freebsd computer is configured as domain name server,pop server,
>>proxy server and firewall. I tried  also to set "options
>>MNBCLUSTERS=4096" in the kernel configuration file, but at least once a
>>day I have the network crash.
>>
>>Is there anybody who has good ideas for this problem?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>bye
>>
>>Roberta Nicolis

>>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us