Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 11:07:24 -0700
From:      Frank McCormick <gfm@readybox.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mixed SCSI and IDE

Has anyone successfully added an IDE-based CD-ROM drive to an
otherwise all-SCSI system under FreeBSD 2.1.5?

The box in question is built around an ASUS 486 motherboard, an SP3G.
I've added ASUS's PCI SC200 host adapter, which uses the NCR 53c810
chip, in order to have an external SCSI port.  The host adapter talks
to a Seagate drive and a 4mm Hewlett-Packard DAT tape drive.

A second PC, with only an IDE hard drive and a Mitsumi FX400 IDE
CD-ROM drive, had run successfully under FreeBSD 2.1R with its
"atapi.flp" boot image for the original installation.  My hope was to
move the Mitsumi CD drive to the SCSI box for use with 2.1.5, and,
given the results under 2.1, I expected the move to be painless.

However, I cannot get the SCSI-based box to recognize the CD-ROM
drive.

The Mitsumi drive is the only device on the (built-in) IDE bus and is
jumpered to be a Master device.  The IDE controller is enabled in the
ASUS setup and is recognized on IRQ 14 by the "boot.flp" image.  Sadly,
the boot diskette under 2.1.5 never finds a "wcd0" device.  When a
normal installation attempt reaches the point at which it needs to
read from the CD, I get a "No CD drives found" message.  Similarly,
attempts to mount the CD by hand from the fixit floppy result in a
"device not configured" message.

(This same physical drive worked under FreeBSD 2.1 on the other PC,
and it works under DOS on this ASUS-based PC, so I'm reasonably sure
the hardware is okay.)

Anyone have any suggestions for grafting an IDE CD-ROM onto a healthy
SCSI box?

Thanks,

Frank McCormick  <gfm@readybox.com>
Certification Services, Inc.                Tel: +1 206 788 3347
P.O. Box 1090                               Fax: +1 206 788 4795
Carnation, WA  98014  USA            Internet: cert@readybox.com