Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:28:42 +0100
From:      Tobias Roth <freebsd.lists@fsck.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipod Nano doesn't connect

Tobias Roth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried connecting my Ipod Nano 8GB via USB to my -STABLE box. No umass
> or ugen device shows up, nothing happens when I connect it. All the USB
> stuff is in the kernel, other usb mass devices (cameras, usb sticks)
> work like a charm. I tried with GENERIC as well, nothing. Is there a
> trick, some setting on the Ipod maybe, to make it act like a disk drive?

I figured it out after I connected the Ipod to a windows system, where
it previously had worked. The same nothingness. So it had to be the
Ipod, not FreeBSD.
A reset on the Ipod solved the problem. The reset is done by
simultaneously pressing the menu and the select (the middle) button and
holding them for a few seconds. The same technique also saved me when
the Ipod hung completely one time.

Cheers,
Tobias