Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 1995 17:35:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Deborah Gronke Bennett <deborah@microunity.com>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Handbook, Chapter 5 (Reconfiguring the Kernel)

On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, Deborah Gronke Bennett wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> How can I take SGML formatted documents and view them?
> (I have netscape, and some limited but reasonable emacs skills.)
> Is there a viewer of some type that I should get off the net and
> install before I see your doc?
>
> Thanks,
> -deborah

I'm almost finished putting all the SGML tags into my Kernel
Configuration chapter and it's starting to look really good.  It took a
lot longer than I expected, but the results look much nicer than I had
expected, as well.. :-)  I will mail my finished document to everyone on
this list for review.

Simple instructions for viewing SGML:  Download the rest of the handbook
in SGML source from:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/share/

Insert the chapter that I will be uploading tonight and apply my patches
to the table of contents and authors list.  Type "sgmlfmt -html
handbook.sgml" and wait (and wait)...  It will output several hundred
small HTML documents, with the main table of contents as "handbook.html",
which you can view with Netscape.  The 'sgmlfmt' command is included
with FreeBSD 2.0.5 and above so you shouldn't need to download it.  You
can also generate ASCII and several other formats, read the man page for
more details...

Anyway, I have about two hours of work ahead of me finishing the formatting,
and I probably won't get to the sections on soundcard and System V options,
but otherwise it's 95% completed and I will post it to this mailing list
before midnight Pacific time.

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL