Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 21:12:05 -0400
From:      Bryan-TheBS-Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>
To:        Brian <ircd@wrath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, nicole@unixgirl.com
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

I have been following this hardware thread for awhile.

Rule 1:  Read the _actual_specs_ on your power supply!

I've seen 250W PS that provided more current on the 3.3+5V lines than
most 400W.  If you have a newer CPU and a lot of add-in boards, you'll
need it!  Antec and Energmax (?) seem to have PowerPC&Cooling specs for
1/2-1/3rd the price.  And I love Antec's case designs (especially the
SX635 and SX1040), plus they just came out with a "cost effective" 350W
PS ($50 versus $85 for their 400W).

Rule 2:  Add up the 12V current provided and match it against your
drives.

This one is simple enough.  Although see #3 ...

Rule 3:  Add up the 12V current required for "start up" if you don't
have SCSI

Unlike SCSI, IDE doesn't provide a "delayed spindle" so you can offset
the "startup current" so not all drives start at the same time.
"Startup current" can really affect your PS, especially since it is
usually 2X+ any other operation.  Be wary with IDE and make sure you get
at least a _good_ 400W PS if you've got 6+ drives total, possibly one of
those Energmax 400/450peak and 550/650peak ones for 8-12.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith   mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org    chat:thebs413
Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org