Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:18:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        efinley@castlenet.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: machine locks up cold

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Hello,
>     I have a machine that I admin. remotely.  As of a couple of days
>ago, it has started locking up solid.  No network activity, keyboard
>doesn't do anything, screen saver frozen on screen etc...   Anyone
>know where to start looking?

Things to consider:

1.  Can you ping the machine?
2.  (if yes to 1) When you telnet, does it give you the message
	Connected to <hostname>
    or not?
3.  Does the disk drive run after the crash?
4.  What are you running on this machine?  Has the machine's job
changed (increased workload, additional tasks, etc)?
5.  What is the version of FreeBSD (specifically, if you are running an older
version, is it one vulnerable to a denial of service attack)?
6.  Has anything changed in the configuration since prior the lockups
(software, hardware, or physical location)?
7.  Are there any unusual messages in the logfiles when you reboot?

Answers to any of these questions may be helpful (or may be puzzling).

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/