Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:05:25 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultimately Safe User Account

On Sep 23, 2004, at 8:56 PM, Andrew wrote:

> Dan Rue wrote:
>>
>> How's he supposed to learn anything if all you give him is a jail with
>> ls cp mv sh and vi?  sheesh.  That'll turn him off unix pretty quick.
>

> Thanks for your feedback. I guess I'll just let him in and try not to
> worry. Well, the trouble is that I am the one administering the box and
> that it was this summer when I started reading heaps of unix/bsd
> documentation - for the first time in my life. I'm still paranoid about
> my own actions, not to mention smb's else. I'll give him cygwin/livecd
> as well, though.

If you're somewhat new (even if you're not...) I'd even more strongly
suggest investing in VMWare or some other VM software using disk images
to work from...it's the ultimate free reign learning environment and
virtual jail.

Even seasoned admins can get lazy or get hit by some new trick in the
book that they didn't previously know about.  No one I worked with was
really familiar with SSH beyond the command line access...and they were
impressed with X forwarding.  Then I learned about port redirection
using SSH, so any ssh-accessible machine on the Internet could
potentially be used to see any other machines within the same subnet as
the ssh server, allowing me access to some machines not visible with
simple scans of a NATed network.  Took a few times explaining how it
worked, and it's come in handy for remote administration at times and
the people I explained the technique to were impressed at the potential
for this to be helpful as a tool (and as a potential security
breach...) The point is that there are more things in system
administration and user's minds than dreamt of in any single admin's
philosophy, Horatio :-)

-Bart