Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 16:27:09 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        mcaughey@infi.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring Serial I/O Ports

    Michael> I've been trying to configure my com1 port or /dev/sd0.

/dev/sd0 == SCSI disk drive zero.

    Michael> I got the following error:

    Michael>         Sorry, can't open connection: /dev/sd0a: Device
    Michael> not configured

You must not have any SCSI disks.

    Michael> So I thought the next step might be to quit kermit and
    Michael> try configuring the port.  the only info I could find in
    Michael> refrence to configuring ports was the ifconfig command.

I have no problems admitting that UNIX man pages or command names
aren't terribly helpful to the new user.  ifconfig is the network
interface configuration command; ``network interface'' in this context
means things like Ethernet.  Sigh.

    Michael> My question is what should I do so that I can configure
    Michael> my (com 1) port?

Chances are you're already configured for it.  It's /dev/cua00, not
/dev/sd0.  Use that, and the rest should be a snap.

--k