Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:16:23 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@gerpa.ru>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Web based main system in perl?

I know this is not really FBSD related, but who can one
ask in this world but kind and knowledgable FBSD users:)

So. I am writing a web based mail system (something like
HotMail) in perl. I have to do in perl, since the company which
ordered it put it in tech. reqs.

The problem is that when i use MIME and Mail (INternet, FOlder)
packages one request for mail processing grows as large as
10M in memory for 700K mail. This is unacceptable. Is there any
other way or packages, libs for processing MIME mail w/o
wasting so much memory and which do not take 3 seconds to compile
to P-code on startup? May be somone already done somthing like
this in perl and can share experience. My reqs say that one host should
serve up to 100000 users (not simulatiusly of course). The hosts is
a dual Pentium III - 450/SCSI/512MB RAM.

Besides that, are there any C libraries for parsing MIME and access
mail boxes of different types (MBOX, MAILDIR, MH,...)

Artem