Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:59:24 +1000
From:      David N <davidn04@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba 34 + LDAP = hang?

On 12 April 2010 14:06, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried updating Samba to 3.4 (from 3.3) as libsmbclient uses it and
> that pulls in talloc which conflicts with 3.3..
>
> Unfortunately when I tried it, it hung when I tried to use the ldap
> passdb backend. I could not really get any useful debugging out of it
> :(
>
> The stack trace is junk (even after enabling max debug) and running
> with..
> sudo /usr/local/sbin/smbd -d 10 -F -S
>
> Showed stuff but nothing related to LDAP (except mentioning the line in
> the config) and it still hung after saying it was going to daemonise
> itself.
>
> It hung not using any CPU but it hadn't yet opened any TCP listen
> sockets - however it did have a socket to the LDAP server open.
>
> Does anyone actually use this combination on FreeBSD?
>
> I have had various annoying issues with LDAP (eg slapd crashing when
> it's not shut down cleanly, various frustrations getting it setup etc)
> but I haven't come across this bug before.
>
> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
> =A0-- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C

Hi,

I know this is old, but I'm wondering if its working for you?

I've tried updating one of our development servers to samba34 with
LDAP but it doesn't work, retries connecting to the LDAP server
multiple times, netstat shows it connections, but in the log files it
complains about no connection or no passwords returned.

Had to go back to Samba33 and all is working.

Regards