Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:05:30 +0400
From:      Sergei Kolobov <sgk@cpmc.net>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, Alla Bezroutchko <alla@sovlink.ru>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslog alternatives?

Robert Watson wrote:
> if configured carefully. There have been discussions of alternatives, and
> I think someone claimed to have written a secure syslog at one point; I
> don't have a reference for it.  I believe Schneier coauthored a paper on

I guess you were referring to nsyslogd by Darren Reed:

06/01/1999 - Darren Reed, the author of IP Filter, announced the release of
Nsyslog, a syslog implementation that

* supports TCP connections
* can be used with SSL to encrypt delivery of syslog messages
* can be used with libwrap and /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} to only accept log
  connections from given hosts
* allows you to set a desired fsync rate for given log files

More information is available at:
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/nsyslog.html

--sgk