Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:32:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does FreeBSD do when listen queue is full ?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Bill Fenner wrote:

> >We don't send a RST, we just silently drop the connection.
>
> This is wrong too; it should silently drop the ACK and leave the
> connection in the pending queue.

Hm, I suppose that could work.  It still feels icky, though; if the
problem is that the app is building up a backlog, I'd think that it should
be handled by increasing the length of the backlog queue.  OTOH, keeping a
syncache socket around waiting for an ack to be retransmitted IS better
than dropping the connection...

Accept filters might interact badly with such a change, that'd have to be
checked.  Also, this would open up the potential that one bad app could
fill the syncache.  That would require a lot of work though; someone with
a local account can already do much worse things.

How do the apps which try to rate-limit connections (OpenSSH, sendmail) do
it?  Would that behavior be defeated with your proposed changes?

I'm not opposed to your idea, I'd just like to fully understand the
implications before any changes are made.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack