Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:56:44 -0500
From:      Tom Parquette <Tom_Parquette@myrealbox.com>
To:        Roger534@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will this work?

My first FreeBSD machine was a Dell 486/66 with 16mb of RAM.
It would usually take me 36-48 hours to build the world but I was in no
rush.  This machine is still alive and kicking.  I use it as a sandbox
while I figure out how to make something new (to me) work.

If you run XFree86 the machine will grind to a halt because of RAM
usage.  If you're going to run X, you should think about at least 128mb
of RAM.

I love rescuing old machines from the dumpster but at some point getting
  IDE disks to work will become the major problem. e.g. getting ISA
controller cards is becoming a problem.

Go for it.  It's a good starting point.
Cheers...