Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 10:27:50 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-docs@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>, Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install Preview (was Re: (was) I'm leaving, now something like "anti official docs rant" :) )

--==_Exmh_541539271P

If memory serves me right, Randy Pratt wrote:
> There is now a 4.3 version of my "Install Preview" now posted at:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/43/index.html

Wow.  I'd heard of this before but I didn't really look at it until now.
I must say I'm very impressed.

A few comments....mostly food-for-thought in nature....

> There is a series of these dating back to the 2.x release and have been
> linked from the http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ page for quite some time.
>
> I've also created a version for the 4.3 that uses png captures of the html
> tables for purposes of conversion to sgml. These are available at:

You mean the screenshots right?

> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/newprev/
>
> and in tarball from:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/newprev/4.3install.tar

Any reason in particular for wanting to go to PNG rather than just using
<screen></screen>?  Also have you tried making PDF or PS output to see
how this looks?  Just curious.

> I gather from some of the threads I've read on the lists that people don't
> know these exist. Once the documents are reviewed and committed, perhaps we
> should consider some additional links to them.

Do you (and/or Murray) envision the Install Preview to be a part of the
DocProj documentation set?  I'm wondering if it might be something to
package up along with RELNOTESng, although this only exists in -CURRENT
right now.  There's some important distinctions to make with respect to
CVS branches.

In any case, I can think of at least a couple of places in the
RELNOTESng documents where we ought to put a pointer to the Install
Preview.  It sounds like it might be getting a new URL soon?

Nice job!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_541539271P

--==_Exmh_541539271P--