Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:58:55 -0600
From:      "dps" <dan@i-tds.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail Newbie Question

Hello~

Excuse the extreme nature of my newbieness, I will try and do my best
here. I am using  4.9-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE on i386.  Basically, I
am having trouble with sendmail. I know sendmail is running:

$ ps -aux | grep sendmail
root     97  0.0  0.8  3052 1552  ??  Ss   Tue10PM   0:07.85 sendmail:
accepting connections (sendmail)
smmsp   100  0.0  0.8  2932 1436  ??  Is   Tue10PM   0:00.13 sendmail:
Queue runner@00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmail)

I can go into pine, and send mail to other users on the system. i.e.
mail dan@localhost from root@localhost.  My problem is that I cannot
send mail out to the Internet.  It appears it just goes into a black
hole and its gone. I am not really too sure even how to monitor the
sendmail log. I found some sendmail logs in /var/log, but when I tail
them, they are either blank or jibberish.  My BSD server does not have a
domain or a real IP. (for example the computer name is
groovy.sockthief.com which cannot be resolved from the Internet, and the
IP of the machine is 192.168.2.4). I have one of those cheap-o Linksys
DHCP DSL/Cable routers that is acting as a network gateway.  I have read
through the sendmail configuration section of the FreeBSD handbook, and
it appears that everything should pretty much be working fine out of the
box.  I guess my questions are:

1) How to I monitor the sendmail log
2) Do I need to do anything special with respect to DNS to get sendmail
to be able to send outside of localhost

Any help, guidance, de-dumbifying would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~Dan