Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:32:44 +0100
From:      Bert Lagaisse <bert.lagaisse@cs.kuleuven.ac.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DMA issue caused crash and file system inconsistency

Hi,

I did some stupid newbie things:

I have 2 cdroms, a plextor 8/4/32A and a 50x aopen cdrom.

I added the line hw.ata.atapi_dma="1" to loader.conf
The plextor now uses WDMA2
The aopen cdrom still uses PIO4 (dma worked under wintendo 2000)

After I tried to enable DMA (using atacontrol) on my aopen cdrom and
mounted it, the system crashed (freebsd 4.9-RELEASE)

result :

During the reboot i got an error and had to run "fsck"

I did, and answered yes to all the questions. (kinda stupid, I know)

The system booted but startx couldn't find /var/log/XFree86.0.log
It seems that /var/log was completely removed

mkdir log in /var solved the problem

What else can I expect after a file system inconsistency ?

And how do I solve the cdrom DMA problem ?

--
Bert Lagaisse

K.U.Leuven, Dept. computer science

Address: