Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 11:24:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

>   Currently it is pretty hard to bootstrap a new DPT system.  You have to
> be able to build a kernel somewhere else as sysinstall will install a
> non-DPT kernel, and you can't use sysinstall to allocate large DPT
> partitions.  I fear for the new user.

New users are less than likely to be presented with such a situation.

However, there are a couple of things that you personally (and other
concerned users) can do to help the situation.

 - Contribute commentary (as you have), documentation and source/
   procedural fixes.  Remeber that FreeBSD is a volunteer project -
   your support means that it will continue to improve.
 - Donate a DPT controller to our testing pool so that we can test
   with it. Chances are we can scrape enough disks together in one
   place to meet the 20GB mark if we have one.