Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 07:14:12 +0100
From:      jon Nicoll <jkn@nicorp.force9.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkn@symbionics.co.uk
Subject:   PCI modem config problems, irq? and 'driver not assigned'

Hi there
	I'm a newcomer to FreeBSD and having got my system up & running I'm trying
to setup a PCI modem correctly. I was unable to run things like tip and ppp
and have stepped back to the HW initialisation. I hope someone can help me
see what to look at next!...

The modem is a pretty cheap PCI modem using the Lucent (LT) chipset. It
seems to announce itself (under Windows) as an 'LT Winmodem', but does not
seem to be a 'Win Modem'. That is, under Windoze I can talk to it as COM3:
using standard terminal programs and standard serial drivers. So I'm pretty
sure it can somehow be used under FreeBSD.

The settings I get from Windows for the modem are the following:

- (COM3)
- IRQ	11
- Memory Range 0xE1000000-0xE10000ff
- I/O range 0x6100-61ff
- I/O range 0x6200-62ff

And when I recompiled the (2.2.7) kernel (thanks Raggy!) I use a config
file entry like this:

device sio2 at isa? port 0x6100 tty irq 11 vector siointr

At boot time, I get the following information about the PCI cards installed
in my system from the BIOS:

(All Bus 0)
Device#	Func#	VendorID	DeviceID	DeviceClass			IRQ
7		1	8086		7010		IDE controller		14
9		0	11c1		0440		Simple COMMS controller	11
10		0	1002		4354		Display Controller		NA
11		0	1000		0001		Unknown PCI device		10
12		0	10ec		8029		Network Controller		10

So far, so good (The 'Unknown PCI device' is my SymBios SCSI card).

However, when I boot FreeBSD in verbose mode (and compiled with PCI_QUIET
and PCI_BRIDGE_DEBUG set so as to give the most information possible) I get
something like the following:

config header: 0x044011c1 0x02970007 0x07800001 0x00000000
pci0:9:	vendor=0x11c1, device=0x0440, class=comms, subclass=0x80 int a irq
11 [no driver assigned]
	map(10):	mem32(e1000000)
	map(14):	io(6100)
	map(18):	io(6200)

and later:

sio2: configured irq not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio2: irq maps: 0x1 0x1 0x1 0x1
sio2 at 0x6100-0x6107 irq 11 on isa
sio2: type 16550A

It seems that the information '[no driver assigned]' and 'sio2: configured
irq not in bitmap of probed irqs 0' are telling me something, but I'm not
sure what. All the information obtained from the PCI card seems OK, and I
even get the SIO probed and recognised. But in PCI.C, the function
'not_supported()' is being called, and that starts to make me suspicious
;-) ...

I notice that the boot process finds and assigns my ethernet card
successfully, even though, like my modem card, it's a PCI card with an
'isa' entry in the config file.

I also notice that the defined classes within PCI.C etc. seem to peter out
at around class 0x06, and that 'comms' is class 0x07. However the function
'not_supported()' at least seems to understand subclass 07.

I guess that something about the pci details read from the card makes the
system think that it has no driver to support it, but I'm not sure how to
confirm or change this. I'm starting to struggle - any suggestions as to
what I do next?

	Thanks very much
	jon Nicoll

--