Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 08:29:16 +0000
From:      Ron Steele <rjs@clark.net>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <osyjm@schizo.coe.montana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: BSD for DEC Alpha

On Tue, 14 Feb 1995, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> Well, they may not give you one, the new line of alphastations
> is pretty nice.
>
> 100MHZ CPU's (maybe 133's), 535MB disk, 32MB RAM, 19" monitor, 6k, with
> CD.
>
> With U. discount, I can get 'em for something like 3.5k.

They probably won't give you one, but:  DEC claims to be into open computing
in a big way (I would guess trying to get out from under the perception
of being a closed VMS organization).  They do a lot with distributed
object computing, for instance.  If someone is serious about porting
an OS to their platform, it is just anouther number the can put into
their marketing brochures.  Loaning a machine is a relatively small
investment for them.  We have had a loaner sitter around for months,
wondering what to do with it - makes a nice Xterm even if the keyboard
is non-standard.  As for being a nice machine, I am sure it is, but so
are HP's, Suns and Pentiums.  (Lotta times you could use those 64 bit
ints though.)  Bottom line is it doesn't hurt to ask.

Ron Steele