Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 18:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        gram@cdsec.com (Graham Wheeler)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug in 2.2.2

Graham Wheeler wrote:

> > 	can you tell me how to reproduce it within X hours?
> > 	if i remember correctly, it was failing every X hours
> > 	for you.  if its statically linked i can hack on
> > 	the shared library and see if i can track this down.
>
> I wrote a small program to exercise the heap and ran it for about ten million
> iterations without a problem. Then I decided to add a periodic call to fork(),
> as both Midnight Commander and the firewall gateway program both do plenty
> of these. When I ran this the O/S panicked almost immediately.
>
> Here is the program:
>
> // A simple program to exercise the heap.

Graham,
	i have run your test program, both with and without fork(),
	against phkmalloc from 2.2 upgraded to CTM 470 for over 10
	million iterations.  the upgrade replaces
	/home/src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c version 1.18.2.2 with
	version 1.18.2.3.  there are changes in the way that
	phkmalloc deals with changing sizes fo allocated memory
	and more. ;)

	can you upgrade from 2.2.2 to 2.2.5 and run your code again?
	2.2.5 will be out very soon.   the source tree will be
	tagged within the hour (Oct 20th 6pm PDT).
jmb