Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:47:29 +0200
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Martin McCann writes:

> This pretty much sums up your attitute. Most people on this list use the
> right tool for the right job, they are not interested in labeling a
> piece of code for 'adults' or for 'children'.

The same is true for me.  But there isn't anything I want or need to do
right now that would not be done better by FreeBSD than by Linux.

To paraphrase what some people have said in the past, Linux is an
attempt by PC enthusiasts to make UNIX look like a PC, whereas the BSDs
are an attempt by UNIX enthusiasts to make a PC look like UNIX.  Most of
what I'm interested in running right now is intended for a UNIX
environment, so FreeBSD is a better tool for the job.

The overwhelming concern of the Linux community seems to be to create
something that walks and talks just like Windows, but isn't called
Windows.  I don't see any point in that, since real Windows does a
better job if Windows is what one wants.

> I am sure IBM, SUN, and plently of other highly profitable companies
> would disagree with your assertion, but they are probably wrong too,
> hmmm?

They are driven by profit motivations, not by a desire to use the right
tool for the right job.

--
Anthony