Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:43:14 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
To:        <revnell@ieee.org>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installation problems

Mike,
Until someone with FreeBSD3.2-STABLE on Aptiva
weighs in, you might be running into a hardware incompatibility
problem. Go to www.freebsd.org and find the hardware section.
look up all of the major building blocks used to build the computer.
i.e. Manufacturer of the HD, CD-ROM, I/O cards ... etc.
The reason I point this out is that IBM for some reason is following
the herd when it comes to manufacturing non-standard hardware
in order to keep customers coming back for upgrades.
I find that if you go out of your way to make sure that your
computer is 100% PC CLONE then just about ANY os
will install/load properly. Also the Aptiva is just about one of
the most unreliable computers in the market today. Of 100 Aptiva's
that I have personally interacted with 100% of them have died or had
major hardware failures within 3 months of purchase, 100% of them
had repeats of same hardware problems within 3-6 months after
repair.
I may get flamed for this but I have already had my fingers burned
by IBM, HP, DELL, and Gateway over the hardware incompatibility
issues. If the mother board is not 100% Intel compatible, you are asking
for problems.

I wish you luck!
Mike Akers
M. Akers Enterprises