Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:32:57 -0600
From:      David J Brooks <freysman@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Absolute FreeBSD

On Thursday 13 December 2007 11:36:35 pm Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> If you bought and grokked the first book and have been using
> FreeBSD ever since, do you really need a book of any kind at
> this point?  Don't you have enough experience under your
> belt to get by without a book?
>
> The operating system books - be it FreeBSD, Linux or Windows,
> serve an important function of helping people go from zero to
> 60 in getting up and going with their operating system of
> choice.  But eventually you are going to outgrow them.  There
> are always lots more people at 0 so the authors of these
> books will never starve, but you need to eventually strike
> out on your own.

Well, to an extent, yes. My copy of The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide
came with discs for FreeBSD 4.2. I read it cover to cover at the time and
found it very helpful. But now, even when it is largely obsolete, I still
find myself referencing it from time to time. Though I'll admit, it resides
on a shelf in the smallest room in the house, where it primarily serves as
impromptu light reading material. ;)

David
--
This message has been foretold by Nostradamus.