Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:29:57 +0200
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <Daniel.Eriksson@computer.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SpamAssassin (spamass-milter) - does it work for you?

I am having trouble keeping SpamAssassin running on my machine using
/usr/ports/mail/spamass-milter. Is it just me and my configuration, or
does others also have problems with this port?

What happens is that when I restart the server everything works just
fine. Spam is filtered out and tagged, and everything is peachy. Some
time later, I find that I have multiple spamd daemons running and the
maillog reports timeouts from spamass-milter. How long it takes from
boot to failure varies. Sometimes it runs for a day or two, and
sometimes it runs for an hour or two.

System:
-------
* FreeBSD 4.6.2 (tracking RELENG_4_6 tag)
* Sendmail (default version), set up to deliver mail to Cyrus IMAP
* fetchmail, popping mail from multiple POP3 accounts and delivering to
Sendmail through SMTP
* spamass-milter (from /usr/ports/mail/spamass-milter), called from my
.mc file like this: INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',
`S=local:/var/run/spamass-milter.sock, F=, T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')

Everything is up to date through cvsup/portupgrade, and apart from the
Cyrus delivery my .mc file is pretty much vanilla/default. The rc
scripts to start spamd and spamass-milter have not been changed. Mail
throughput is less than 500 per day (just my private mail which includes
about a dozen or so mailing lists).

/Daniel