Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:31:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall@mail.double-barrel.be>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Install *actually* friendly

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> You're missing my point.  The average user who's trying FreeBSD for the
> first time doesn't know it's wrong.  Furthermore, the computer just booted
> to the installation program from CD and is now telling the user that there
> is no CD.  It's not just a documentation issue.
I see but this is IMHO only fixable by modularising the whole kernel and
going into the same dangers Linux has gone into.namely the security riscs
a modularised kernel brings with it.

> >> Chris' point above about the floppy and one of the responses I've seen
> >> since
> >> then are a good example of what I'm typing about.  Why should the poor
> >> user
> >> be made to suffer 'cuze it's assumed (either right or wrong) that most
> >> people
> >> disable the floppy in BIOS?  At the very extreme, ASK THE USER don't
> >> decide
> >> for him/her!
> > You turned that one comment from me out off proportion I said that I
> > didn't leave the floppy enabled because my systems need to be able to boot
> > when a problem arised and I when I'm 1000 Km away and the power goes
> > down it had to recover by it self. It has happened a lot off times that
> > one off my cleaners simply unpluged the ups or any other plug from the
> > power suply to plug in the vacium cleaner and the afterwards simply
> > reinserted the plug now my systems simply reboot when the power comes back
> > on. You took a part off what I said and turned it into what you felt was
> > being said.
>
> Here's what you said:
>
> -----
> >No .. I would not like to see this happen for the simple reason that I see
> >that most poeple disable the floppy in bios when done installing the
> >system. On some off my systems I disable and remove the floppy after
> >installation to make shure no clown tampers with the data contained on
> >those systems or in event off the systems going down enabling the system
> >to reboot itself without having to worry that a floppy might be in the
> >drive.
> -----
>
> Did you or did you not say that most people disable the floppy?
Yes I did but I used most poeple in a way off speach.
>If what you're referring to is a security issue, you should also be locking the
> computer room door rather than justifying the disabling of the floppy and
> documenting it.
I can't lock the computer rooms door becuase off the layout off the
Building. Namely poeple need to go trough the computer room to go to the
bathroom. Plus I don't want to have to drive back to my office because for
some reason I didn't remember if I left a floppy in a discdrive. Plus I'm
allready looking into changing all the boxes I have now into one big rack
mounted system wich will be hardwired to a 16Amp breaker switch so noone
can pull the plug on a system. but Implementing such a strategy now would
cost me 8000 USD in cases and powersuplys so at the moment I'm still
stalling it a bit.

Michael