Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:32:24 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doscmd vs ???

Jonathan Lemon stands accused of saying:

>   I've wanted to get into the kernel source, and figured that the vm86
> emulation was as good of a place to start as any.  So after a crash course
> on Intel architecture, and some mucking with the vm86 patches, I have
> doscmd running on a -current system.  Running in this case being that I
> can run all the executables in testbin, as well as booting Dos 5.0, and
> running the instbsdi.exe binary, etc).

That's a pretty good start nevertheless.

>   I have no other Dos programs to run, simply because I don't own any DOS
> programs other than Dos5.0 and whatever install/support programs that came
> with the various hardware I've bought.

That can easily be fixed; there are FTP sites just oozing DOS software 8)

>   I was looking at fixing the vm86 exit point from the kernel, as well as
> possibly adding in VME/VIF/VIP support, if I can figure out how.  My question
> is what advantage does doscmd have over linux's dosemu?  IE: why not just
> use dosemu, with the appropriate BSD kernel support?

- We control doscmd, so we can Do It Right.
- Doesmu is a festering mess, in typical mongolian-hordes style.  Doscmd
  is relatively tidier, and is amenable to being tidied more.
- Doscmd is BSD-licensed, so if someone wanted to use it for their own
  project (commercial) they could.  BSDI are keen to see it maintained
  too, and I'd like to DTRT by them (they gave us the code in the first place).

> Jonathan

Please keep the list in touch with your progress, and let me know if
you want the latest-latest copy of the userland code and I'll bundle
it up (fixes at least one major redirector bug IIRC).