Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:07:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@research.kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: Dodgy interrupts

>   ABit BX/PX motherboard, AMD k6-233
>   4 PCI slots:
>     diamond Viper 550 (or 330... geez, why haven't I written this down)
>     2x nrc810
>     ehternet card (err. lnc1, I don't know the brand)
>
> The ethernet card shares its interrupt (irq 14) with the USB controller. I
> don't actually use the USB controller, so if someone can suggest how to
> switch it off, please do.

	IRQ 14 is also shared with the Primary IDE. You need to change the
IRQ on the card to something nice and safe, like 10 or 11.

> Does the value of the irq matter? I hear lower irq's have higher priority.
> Is a higer priority necessary for a modern ethernet board?

	Some devices can share IRQs, though it's not recommended. So the
value does matter in a very big way. The priority is not an issue here.
Simply change the network card off of IRQ 14 and it'll probally work. You
should have a driver/setup disk that came with the card, BTW which will
allow you to change/make sure the IRQ is 10.

> Are there problems with shared irq's on PCI boards? Abit in particular?
>
> How come I only have problems with PCI ethernet boards, and all the ISA ones
> I've ever used worked *always*?

	Oh... is this a PCI card? In that case you might want to take a
quick tour through your BIOS, change the PNP OS Installed Option to yes,
and PNP Something or another assign to manual. That might fix some of your
problems too.

						Rick