Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:31:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        willd@telusplanet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel NIC error

Will Downs wrote,

> I noticed in my syslogs the following error:
>
> Mar 19 10:28:49 ..... /kernel: ed0: promiscuous mode enabled
> Mar 19 10:28:57 ..... /kernel: ed0: promiscuous mode enabled
>
> I have no idea what It could mean or how to fix it.
>
> I have noticed, that the error is logged when I run trafshow.
>
> any ideas on how to fix this ?

No. Nothing is broken. It is not an error message, but an informational
one since promiscuous mode has security implications (someone can
snoop the LAN). It is similar to say, successful 'su's being logged.

You could stop it by messing with your syslog setup, but IMHO, it is
easier to realize what the message means an just live on.